View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #8
Becky

Re: Advice needed ... Tamoxifen or AI?

My story - I did not gain weoght on Tamoxifen or Arimidex. That said, when chemo was over, I was 46 so I was automatically put on Tamoxifen. Herceptin wasn't. Available right then so I wanted to do everything possible to help myself since I had a positive node. I wanted Armidex. Got the bloodwork and it showed I was post menopausal so I started. At almost the same time, Herceptin was available - yea. Started Herceptin alone. Well, low and behold, I get my period. Onc tells me to stop Armidex and go to gyne for ultrasound. This takes 2 weeks for appointment. That ultrasound shows that I am about to ovulate again (double ovulation - one one each side). So gyne said, do you want to schedule an oophorectomy. So thats what I did. Now Anyone who knows me knows I think alot. So about a year later there is an article about Arimidex being used off label to assist in ovulation issues in premenopausal women for infertility issues. Seems it can help. I'm thinking no s... as I was double ovulating. So I think I wasn't truly quite there in menopause. My fsh/lh was there but I bet my estradiol level probably wasn't and Arimidex did its "infertility" fix on me since I wasn't quite menopausal. So my advice is make sure your estrogen panel is done. Estradiol and estrones. If they arent in the menopause range, Arimidex won't work and you wont know it for 6-8 weeks till your period suddenly comes back. What a freak show all that was.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote