View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #18
Gerri

Thanks to all of you for your input. It's great that we can come here and cheer each other on.

AlaskaAngel: Thanks so much for your insight. I agree that getting rid of excess weight is something we should all be striving to do to stay healthy. I'm as surprised as anyone by my success this time around. I do work hard at this and believe that exercise can only improve my results. Now with less weight on my joints I think I can give walking a try again. I'm sorry to hear that your noble efforts have not been rewarded. I hope I can share a few things with you.

As most everyone knows, Weight Watchers is based on a point system that factors in calories, fat and fiber content. Many people think that a point, is a point, is a point - I don't. I believe that it really matters what my points consist of, which is why I have cut many things from my diet: white rice and pasta, white bread, processed foods, sugar, etc. I always eat breakfast (always have), I stopped drinking coffee with creamer (albeit non-fat) and substituted it with green tea - I love it! I am now watching my salt intake as I notice that too much makes me retain water. I get most of my carbs from fruit and whole wheat products and make sure I eat a decent amount of protein each day - these are what WW considers "filling foods". I try not to eat empty calories, but everything that goes into my mouth is put on my food diary and gets counted - every little bite really does make a difference. It takes a little work to keep track of everything, but I think it has made all the difference in the world with my weight loss. I am setting small goals for myself and that helps me to stay focused. Also, attending the weekly meetings helps too. Just the fact that I am accountable to weigh in weekly keeps me on track.

If I have inspired some of you to give weight loss another try I am thrilled. That is what this board is all about: To support, to inspire and to get through the bumps along the way together.

My love to all.
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote