View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 06:04 AM   #5
TSund

Hi Becky,

Do you have full access to this article? Though I know it to be true, I don't see the reference to the exercise down-regulator in the link that Hopeful sent.

While I am truthfully very uncomfortable with the AI issue also, yes, I also have something stuck in my craw about tamoxifen. This onc has been REALLY good, (Dr. Joyce O'Shaugnnesy), she is incredibly well versed and up to date, knows "Dennie" Slamon on a first name basis, and is involved in much research herself. I am having trouble digesting the apparant discrepancy between what she is telling us ( that in essence two years of Tamoxifen is OK for someone that was pre-menopausal and had a year of Herceptin) and what has been stated here. I am at a loss.

Did ask about the PR factor, Dr. O. said it wouldn't change the treatment plan because of the pre-menopausal status pre dx. (obviously and wisely trying to avoid what you went through when you started having periods again) Asked about ooph she said she doesn't believe in messing about with extra surgery. Our GP backed that up. The onc obviously knows that Lupron is an alternative and in her eyes the partial tamoxifen is a better choice.

Did try to get Ruth to get the surgeon's office to retest the original path, Ruth got to some sort of dead end there, don't know if it was her own discomfort with pushing the issue, or what.

I do think the research is somewhat flawed on both sides, between AI studies not having long term results documented, not taking into account the non-metabolizer factor, the Herceptin w/w/o Tamoxifen, etc. we have no clear apples and oranges.

I am frustrated, trying not to stress out completely and trying really hard not to stress Ruth out. It's hard for me to push, as Ruth trusts Dr. O implicitly and that is an important thing. I trust her too, actually, but this one issue has been confusing.

It's a conundrum for me.
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.

Last edited by TSund; 06-26-2008 at 06:17 AM..
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote