View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #9
Monica

Re: The beginnings of HER2Support

As a follow on to my previous post, here Christine and Joe speak to their values and the mission of the Board.

Christine: "This is a no-nonsense board. It’s not to have a pity party. We’re not here to have a Snoopy dance. I think that’s appalling (on a board). Through our philosophy, we believe in:
 Education - Looking at resources
 Working together as a team − They will find their answer through our web site by a team effort.

Give them a lot of resources. Education is our primary objective. The best way to get through a disease is education, and we do that through our web site.

No one ever does not get a reply. We’re hanging in there to get help, but who should answer, but those that have been there . . .

There is no opportunity to say la, la, la. I say God helps those that help themselves. If there is a will, there’s a way. Kick the demon in the butt!!!"

Joe voiced a similar philosophy:
“The main mission of the web site is to educate women. Don’t rely on doctors. Doctors make bad decisions like people do. The only way to beat this is to become as smart as doctors and work with them . . . “

They were a very unique couple and were truly driven by the mission of empowering women (and men) to help each other with HER2 breast cancer. Doctors are a partner, not an expert.

Although Joe had other income, they spent immense amount of time keeping the board relevant and honing the culture. They were amazing people, did an amazing service to the HER2 Community, and I am personally appreciative of helping me in my time of need.

Dx Nov 2003 HER2+++, ER+, PR+
1.7 cm. left breast, Grade 3, Two nodes out of six, stage IIA
Mastectomy right side
Lumpectomy left side
4 A/C, 4 Taxol plus 49 weeks herceptin
Radiation on left side
No tamoxifen or other hormonal drugs
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote