View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 08:27 PM   #50
VDC

Re: I think I'm in trouble!

Darn it! Wouldn't you know that Mayo only schedules their MRI guided biopsies on Tuesdays? And by the time I had my "second look" ultrasound and the results of that were back, it was too late to schedule for today!

That means I will be flying home tomorrow only to return next Monday for Tuesday biopsies. ....this frequent flier thing is getting out of control!

Now for the "curious" part of today. That "second look" ultrasound took THREE hours to complete as TWO radiologists and my oncologist discussed each image and throughout the three hours they kept demanding MORE images. The technician and I were dumbfounded as more and more images were requested spanning THREE entire hours! The technician kept apologizing for the delay! ..and I kept assuring her it wasn't her fault!

The results of the ultrasound were as follows:
1. The enlarged lymph node was no longer enlarged (I was catching a cold when the MRI was done and that was most likely the cause of the enlarged lymph node) (good news)

2. Two of the "indeterminate" areas are ONLY visible by MRI and not by ultrasound or mammography so these will require MRI guided biopsies which will be performed next Tuesday. One is thought to be the DCIS that used to be visualized by mammography and was biopsied back in October and found to be DCIS. The other is thought to be greater extent of DCIS than previously thought, although only biopsy will tell. All told this length of DCIS is about 6 cm which is quite extensive considering the mammography thought it was 2.7 cm in October....but some couldn't be seen by mammography? (indeterminate at this time)

3. The 2.2 cm mass was the remains of the hematoma and it was previously biopsied in February and was confirmed to be remains of the hematoma. (good news here)

4. The contralateral breast has two masses that do show up on ultrasound and these will undergo ultrasound guided biopsies on Tuesday. (indeterminate at this time)

5. The "little" 4 x 5 mm mass was biopsied in February and found to be a papilloma. (good news here)

6. There is a little 5 mm mass that onlyl shows up by MRI and will need to be biopsied by an MRI guided biopsy. Add this to the list of biopsies for next Tuesday! (indeterminate at this time)

So, in all, it was a good news day with some indeterminate masses yet to be biopsied. Could have been worse..........
VDC is offline   Reply With Quote