View Single Post
Old 05-20-2004, 10:26 AM   #1
Linda in Ithaca

A lump in my armpit and a very sore arm began my journey towards breast cancer diagnosis nearly three years ago this June. The diagnosis was ""occult breast cancer"" since they never found my primary tumor. I had gone to three different cancer centers just to determine diagnosis and treatment. I had A/C followed by a masectomy" and then Taxol and radiation. My cancer came back 3 weeks after radiation was complete. I was then tested to see if I was Her 2 /Neu positive and since I most definitely was began weekly Herceptin/Navelbine treatments " which lasted for 9 months. I am now on Gemzar and Herceptin and I have had ""stable disease"" after almost a year. My cancer seems stuck in the neck lymph glands and chest wall skin. I just had a port installed and will be taking Coumadin to prevent clotting problems. I am 52 years young" very happily married and have two boys ages 17 and 14 at home. I tutor children two days a week and would love to teach more but I am frequently tired. I am happy to be alive. I am thankful for this online Support Group since Ithaca is not a very big city and my onc though he is competent does not have a lot of breast cancer expertise and phones around for info pertinent to me when he has the time. I try to consult with other oncs at larger cancer centers but it is hard to get through to them when you need information quickly. So I am most thankful that we have each other as our own informal review board!