View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
TanyaRD

Re: Nutrition, exercise, and inflammation

AA,
I have had an opportunity to review the following article.
Exercise, Inflammation, and Innate Immunity
Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America, Volume 29, Issue 2, Pages 381-393
J. Woods, V. Vieira, K. Keylock

It is a fascinating article that summarized a multitude of exercise, inflammation, and immunity studies. What I gathered from the article was that it is our own immune response to stress that aids in creating chronic inflammation, particularly macrophage response. It is known that this chronic inflammation may be linked to many chronic illnesses (cardiac, arthritis, metabolic syndrome, etc). The article was not directly oncology related but I believe has application. I will bullet point of few of the areas I found interesting.
-Increased physical activity is an effective means of reducing systemic low-level inflammation (chronic) as well as acute inflammation. Acute inflammation can be reduced with exhaustive or moderate exercise. They noted it was important to avoid "over training" which of course can lead to more inflammation.

-Researchers used a mouse model and found that daily strenuous exercise had an anti-inflammatory effect on allogeneic tumor growth. It did not effect maximum tumor size but slowed growth of the tumor and lead to more rapid regression of the tumor.

-Exercise many be an effective way to decrease the inflammation profile that is a normal progression of aging.

-Longitudinal studies have indicated that exercise training has an anti-inflammatory effect for individuals who have chronic diseases (cardiac, metabolic syndrome, overweight but otherwise healthy kids and adults). CRP levels show significant decrease with moderate exercise (again, avoid overtraining)

-Exercise appears to be a key component in reducing inflammation as opposed to just diet alone although the author admits this needs further investigation. It was indicated that diet alone did not lead to as significant decrease in inflammation compared to exercise but was poorly studied.

Bottom line was that they know there is a connection between exercise and inflammation but they haven't yet figured out the exact immune mechanism.

I haven't heard back regarding teh Omega Score testing company yet. If I do I will post.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote