View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #76
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Re: Irene From Tampa

Sorry I've not posted for a few days, but they've been both evenful and tiring.

Irene's birthday was a happy day...yet sadness was lurking. So many friends and family members came with best wishes and happy hearts that at times the air was filled with happy laughter and friendship. Tears of both joy and saddness could easily be found.

The hospital had to ask the overflow to contain themselves when in the hallway. They've been nothing but hardworking, understanding, caring and kind during the entire ordeal and I want them to know that its recognized and taken to heart. It takes a special heart to remain strong amongst such trying circumstance - yet these people can do it.

Irene's white blood cell count had dropped below 1 - so surgical masks and antiseptic soap were required by all. Her counts havent been this low since the stem cell transplant.

We hope to bring Irene here tomorrow. Hospice didnt show up yesterday so our meeting was delayed by an administrative snafu. So I hope to meet with them this afternoon...hopefully time enough for them to get the necessary equipment to the house.

The girls and some friends are coming over today to help take down the Christmas tree and decorations which have remained in place since the house was evacuated about a month ago. Its odd to be walking amongst gift packages and alike that bring only an odd sense of detachment and sadness.

Its early Sunday and I'm at home.
I came here yesterday evening to organize things a bit but simply ran out of gas and couldnt make the drive back. Andrea was good enough to bring me some necessary medicine so I could remain.

I'm totally exhausted yet cant find sleep in my own bed. I dont know whats to come of the future, but I foresee cold seas and I'm a tired swimmer. Best I keep thoughts to a minimum.

As I often do, I ran through my picture albums of better times...but must admit I'm crushed and they didnt have the desired affect. Hopefully next time.

I updated the Caring Bridge phote album with some more pictures of Irene during happier times and with good people.

Be well and all my love - John
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote