View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #9
rhondalea

Re: Happy Birthday Rhondalea

I'd have been here sooner, but my birthday present to me was to take the weekend off from posting/answering email. Nothing scandalous, I fear, but it's a good suggestion, so I'll put it on my list for next year.

I did a bunch of chores I'd been putting off--it felt amazing to have them done, but they're also a reminder of how much is left to do. Upside/downside, isn't that the way of it?

With that preamble, thank you all so much for thinking of me. Especial thanks to you, Becky, for paying attention to birthdays and starting the thread. That was so kind.

So, no wine (never liked it), but chocolate, indeed. I have these lovely organic chocolate caramel truffles, and I ate three of them in a row (three is a serving, but I normally eat only one, and a box lasts a very long time). They were fabulous.

In keeping with the big bites, I skipped the carpe diem and went straight to (as you know) carpe weekend. I may consider carpe(ing) the week next.

I'm not quite yet old enough to be wise, Jessica, but I'm a good googler, and I have Opinions® about nearly everything. The only reason I may approach wisdom one day is that although my Opinions® are forceful, they are subject to change with new information. Now, if only I could learn to have less regret and embarrassment about past failures....

Speaking of which, I offer this as a Hobbit birthday gift to all of you:

Being harder on oneself than anyone else would ever think to be was one of the subjects we covered in the MBSR course (that I still need to post about, and about which I'm quite embarrassed at having failed to do so far, but I'm not battering myself silly about it, and I promise I'll get there).

The instructor pointed out that, to a (wo)man, our self-talk is far harsher than anything we would inflict on another person, ever. I don't recall giving that consideration in the past, but upon reflection, it's pretty obvious. I now endeavor to modulate my tone when, for example, I drop the milk carton and make a puddle all over the floor. Rather than yelling, "you <expletive deleted> idiot," I softly tell myself, "You'll do better next time." It seems even more plausible if I remember to smile.

I realize it's weird that I talk to myself in the third person--out loud, no less--but I've never pretended to be anything but eccentric.

Thank you again for thinking of me.

Love,
rl

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote