View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
KirisMum

Re: Grieving already

One of my best friends in the world was diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer back in the late 1980s. She lived in England. She came to me for Christmas 1990 and I went over for a long weekend in the fall of 1991 to "say goodbye." I was a mess. She had mets in her spine, abdomen, liver and they were pretty sure her brain. She was still very active but as she put it, "a little peaked." She had had intensive chemotherapy and radiation, but she refused surgery, saying she "would not have her body cut open." She also did a lot of alternative stuff - acupuncture, mistletoe injections, working with a lay witch, etc. Yes, she was a little crazy, but she was my soulmate.

Fast forward to today. Both of her daughters had baby girls this year. My friend (yes, she is still around! 20 years later) has come back to London from traveling through Majorca with her lover in a VW bus to dote on her grandbabies for a few months. We talked by phone last week. I asked her was she "clear"? She laughed and told me that due to a huge fire at the Marsden Hospital a few years ago, all her records had been destroyed, that she thinks she still has a little spot near her pancreas but she doesn't pay much attention, she feels fine, and that since it's now three years since her last scan, she should probably go for a checkup.

When she came for Christmas that year, we were in Macy's together, and I made a wish under the holly. She asked what I'd wished for, and I told her, "I wished that you would outlive me." She was horrified. "TAKE IT BACK!" she told me. "You're likely to be hit by a bus when we leave here!"

I didn't take my wish back. I think it will probably still come true, and we'll both die of natural causes, in old old age.

There is LOTS of hope for your sister, Biddy. More hope than not hope.
KirisMum is offline   Reply With Quote