View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #18
'lizbeth

Re: mastectomy versus lumpectomy for HER2

So the calcification issue is a tricky one. I had been given the impression that they always meant cancer. So on a mammogram the radiologist came in to talk about interesting calcifications a few years ago - I was freaked out. But he was talking about calcifications in the TRAM which were never explained, but perhaps necrosis?

I now see calcification can be benign as well. Tricky stuff sometimes to read these scans. So happy that mammograms are now digital. I will be thrilled when the next generation technology comes around.

Aussie Girl - this new FDA neoadjuvant approvals seems to be a bit tricky. Yes the tumor is small .6cm, but has an area of DCIS close by. I can see the interpretation of when to use it is not black & white.

So you should know when you make a statement such as DCIS is harder to treat with neoadjuvant chemotherapy than IDC I'm going to want to see the articles on the studies that support this. I find this interesting and would like to see the scientific findings. So can you post it under Articles of Interest please?

Kaa, I'm sorry if we overwhelm you with information and opinions. Some of us started on this journey years ago and are accustomed to the lingo, and the back and forth conversations. Sometimes we are quite guilty of going off on another topic as well.

I hope your sister is getting the information she needs to make a good decision to nip this cancer in the bud. Fingers crossed that the calcifications are benign and she can have the lumpectomy she prefers.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote