View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Roninpt

Re: Tykerb...Foods to Avoid?

Hi, I posted to the Diarrhea post, but I will repeat here what has been really useful.

I had a terrible time at first on the med. First, talk to your doc about going up more slowly. Maybe take a week on one tab, then 2 and then up as you can tolerate.

Then, as has been mentioned, the BRAT diet really works to get some food in you, and also the probiotics, but avoid youghurt. Most dairy is a problem they even tell you that on the website. After 4 months, I am just starting to get on yoghurt and dairy again. You can get probiotics in capsule form at the health food store - "Optima" is good, and I have seen other probiotics in regular grocery stores.

Also, go for Pedialyte and mix it into some Smartwater - you need to keep hydrated. That in and of itself helps keep the diarrhea down. Next, really keep salt out of your diet as much as possible. When you go out be really careful, because things like rubs and salad dressing are drenched in salt. Coffee just doesn't work ever.

You will be able to eat salad again - it just may be a couple of weeks. Also, hummous is a good protien source and that worked well when I couldn't eat other foods.

I also spent a lot of time gently massaging my abdomen. Start at the base of the sternum and work to the left, down and around to the right. Be gentle, but it can help too. It may make you go, but you'll feel better afterwards.

I am here to tell you that it will get better over time - it may be a long time, but the results can be really good. I had just gotten up to 4 tabs at my last scan and there was no change in any of the bad spots, and my blood work has been really stable as well. It is tough to deal with, but it is worth it.

Good luck!
Alison