View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
Elizabeth1227

Re: Blood clot from Herceptin?????

Dear Lettik,

Thank you for your post. I finished my herceptin October 24, 2011. I got the blood clot end of April 2011. They told me also at that time that cancer patients were prone to blood clots. The beginning of November of 2011 I had surgery to remove a lymph node in my iliac area (hip area) and it was more cancer spread from anal cancer (originally diagnosed 2 days after by breast cancer returned February 10, 2010). So I do not think the blood clot came from being on Herceptin like I originally thought. I believe it was from the cancer spread to my hip area. I am surprised your doctor has not switched you from the lovenox injections to cumadin (generic is warfarin). When I got my blood clot I was on the lovenox injections for less than 2 weeks and then I was switched to the pill form--warfarin (cumadin). I have been on the warfarin almost a year except when I had the surgery for the lymph node removal then I went back to the lovenox injections right before and right after the surgery. I did not like the injections but bit the bullet and gave them to myself. Bruising was bad. You may ask your doctor about switching to the pill form. They will want to check your level frequently to make sure you are on the right dosage. But after awhile you may only have to get it checked every 30 days. Also do you have any other areas of suspicion of any more cancer? I hope not. I am currently on Folfox chemo therapy. I will probably stay on the blood thinner until I finish treatment end of June or beginning of July.
Then wait a few months and hopefully get my port removed God willing. I kinda feel it is better to be on the blood thinner while I have a port.
God Bless you, Elizabeth1227
Elizabeth1227 is offline   Reply With Quote