View Single Post
Old 04-21-2007, 07:48 AM   #176
pamk

Herceptin side effects - anyone with asthma?

I was "officially" diagnosed in Jan. 2004 (biopsies began in Dec. 2003) with bilateral bc - DCIS on left, invasive on right with positive nodes, HER2 pos. Had dose dense AC and then Taxol. Was offered Herceptin in Feb. 2006 - why so late?! Started in April (insurance issues, port put back in, etc.) I am scheduled for my last treatment on Tues. April 24. Have heard from other patients and also read that some new research is suggesting 2 years on Herceptin is better than 1 - anyone heard about that?

Now for my original question - has anyone developed asthma with Herceptin? Of course, I was told, at first, "this is not a side effect of Herceptin - we've never heard of this" - therefore, I must be imagining it?! I went to a pulmonologist - amazingly I DID (and still do) have asthma! And this dr. feels it is definitely the Herceptin.

I also have the joint pain, muscle pain, and severe cramps in my leg muscles. I have also put on 50 lbs. since my original treatment (steroids) and am continuing to gain weight - wonder if it is the decadron pretreatment my pulmonologist requires, and also the Advair I now use on a daily basis?

My pulmonologist also just did blood work - my onco does not do anything except tumor markers!. My platelets, lymphocytes, and total protein were all low, and my glucose is up (127 - always been way under 100)

Any comments would be appreciated!
pamk is offline   Reply With Quote