View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #16
IrvineFriend

Re: mastectomy versus lumpectomy for HER2

After my initial biopsy, the pathology report came back that I had DCIS. The "suspicious" node was also biopsied and was negative. Due to strong family history of BC I chose bilateral with reconstruction. Also the tumor size encompassed the majority of my size C breast (over 14 cm) due to multiple tumors. The only reason I did not suspect it was BC is because there no "lump" per se ever; my entire breast was hard becaue it all cancerous. Two years prior negative mammogram. I also had calcification throughout that breast (had for 10+ years). My sister the same calcification with the same end results (but not HER2+).

I do want to share that my pathology report for my removed breast/nodes came back with TWO types of cancer, the predominant one being missed in the biopsy. I also had 4 positive nodes and only learned I was HER2+ from that pathology report. My doctor and likely my insurance does not test for HER2 status for DCIS.

Prior to that surgery, my treatment plan was completely different. Chemo and radiation was not being considered. I'm grateful I had the mastectomy as it's something I don't have to worry about as much about. I chose to spare the nipple in the non-cancerous breast and truly glad for that. With the reconstruction and great surgeons, I feel my breast looks normal/fine. The other I don't care for much but I'm looking forward to finishing up early next year. Had the cancer not been located at the nipple I would have kept that one too. I'm the same age as your sister and not married so appearance of my breasts was important for me. Quality of life thing.

Just wanted to share my experience regarding the two completely different pathology reports prior to and after mastectomy.

Wishing your sister good luck and wishes.

-Julie

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote