View Single Post
Old 03-18-2006, 09:03 AM   #21
Mar

Exclamation Its Ok To Admit At This Web Site That Sometimes Side Effects Are Long Term And Life A

I sometimes feel so amazed, astonished, and down right disbelieving when all I read are when people write about Taxotere's side effects on this web site and they sound like story book outcomes. All I read here are that the side effects are temporary and/or mild and everything is rosey in a few months.
For me, and many more,Taxotere caused such long term, life altering problems that have NOT gone away or decreased in severity.

I suffer from SEVERE Neuropathy pain and muscle weakness in my legs, arms, and groin area that some days require high powered pain medication just to bear it. I am blessed though to have a wonderful husband who has been with me every step of this journey, along with my daughter, son in law, and three grandkids. That is so important. In addition, I have personally met 10 other women and two men (in the last year alone) who also have SEVERE and LONG TERM side effects from taking Taxotere. NOT EVERYONE escapes permanant damage from this drug or from one of the others now given.

It would be WRONG to mislead people into believing if they suffer the way I do that they are alone having this happen to them. It is also WRONG to suggest that everyone goes on as if taking a toxic, sometimes deadly chemo drug is not without its POSSIBLE long term problems. The secret is to read about all the possible side effects and be watchful as you take the drug, any drug. IF Taxotere,or any of the other chemo drugs start being too toxic to your body, there are other drugs they can switch you to before it damages your body before it is too late. Some of us are slow to empty these drugs from our bodies and some of our bodies can't tolerate a particular drug. Don't let near 100% rosey messages lull you into believing nothing but great outcome happen from taking Taxotere or any of the other chemo drugs. Don't be afraid either, but don't be an "unthinking" chemo patient. I actually met people while taking chemo who didn't know what drugs they were taking or any of their possible side effects. They said they were too afraid and just didn't want to know. I knew, but still ended up in the shape I am in. My severe side effects didn't show up until the end of my treatment. Thanks for letting me voice my concern at only reading rosey, no long term side effects from taking chemo, at this website. It just isn't so in many cases. Mar

Last edited by Mar; 03-18-2006 at 09:56 AM..
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote