View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
CoolBreeze

Re: Could I have bone mets?

My mets are in liver, not bone. However, I have had pain in my hips, thighs and knees and back since my initial treatment. In fact, that is how my liver mets were found - I had a bone scan looking for why my back was hurting, which showed nothing so my oncologist did a CT. Even though we weren't looking at the liver, it showed up.

It took a while to discover the reasons, but my back hurts because of the recon and mastectomy which have caused muscle spasms in my chest that affect my back. (I can't feel it in the chest). It is hard to tell the difference between muscle and bone pain when it's lower back. No explanation for thighs and knees but I no longer wear heels because of the strain.

I don't know why oncologists don't warn patients that bone pain is a probability post cancer treatment. I see it and hear about it so often - they must too! Especially for those on estrogen blockers or who have gone into menopause because of treatment.

These treatments we do are very toxic, especially on our blood, and problems can crop up but it doesn't mean a relapse. Aching is so common that there has to be an explanation - blood marrow working OT after chemo maybe? I don't know, that's just a guess.

I also think we are more susceptible to normal wear and tear. So maybe you did something that strained your muscles or body in some way that you didn't realize. Either way, if it lasts it needs to get it checked. I'm glad you called your doctor but of course, the cycle of worry begins. I hope he reassured you.

My guess - I think since you are feeling it in both sides it is unlikely to be mets. Bone mets usually isn't even.......for whatever that is worth. Because of my online presence I hear a lot of stories but I'm not a doc and I could be wrong.

Please let us know what the doctor says and *big hugs* to you.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote