View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 11:29 AM   #14
Hopeful

Ann,

Congratulations! The 2 year mark is very significant. I am only 14 mo. post dx, and hope to be able to join you at your acheivement in another 10 mo.

I post here frequently, and I, like you, declined chemotherapy for my postmenopausal, highly hormone positive, her2+, stage 1 bc. My oncologist was willing to treat me with Herception without chemotherapy, so I did recieve a year of that. I also had a lumpectomy and radiation, and the radiation I am still troubled by. I tried very hard to get partial irradiation instead of whole breast, but was unable to achieve that. I also take an AI.

I am of a similar view as you, that harsh treatments can do more harm than good when not warranted. I try to give a balanced perspective, but respect everyone's right to make their own decisions on treatment. I read a fascinating article a few months ago about the psychology of treatment decisions made by cancer patients. It stated that, psychologically, individuals are motivated to aviod regret, and that failing to take an action (i.e., chemotherapy or other harsh treatment) would cause regret if the patient experienced a recurrence. Thus, people at even low risk are motivated to have the harsh treatment so that, if they do recur, they will not have regrets about their tx plan. I guess I am one of the odd balls for whom that line of reasoning does not hold water.

Best of luck to you for a great life continued NED!

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote