View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
donocco

Re: Herceptin and I.V. Vit. C treatments

Diane

Im a pharmacist so I have some knowledge but the subject is contraversial. The info is 50/50. Some articles show the danger of say Vitamin C and chemo others show Vitamin C to be beneficial.

By all means, run this by your oncologist. By all means. But Ill take this advice one step further. If he is against Vitamin C (Vitamin B-12) and Herceptin ask why.

I cant say that Vitamin C wont interfere with Herceptin. I cant say it will. I did do some research and came up empty handed.

One thing I can say. It seems the contraversy between Vitamin C and chemo is the anti-oxidant effect of vitamin C interfering with the oxidant effect of chemo. Herceptin works differently than say Adriamycin. Its not a "chemo drug" in the general sense of the word like Cytoxan, Adriamycin Taxol etc are. These chemo drugs interfere with DNA replication or microtubules by chemically reacting with them.

Herceptin works differently. It interferes with a protein (Her2neu) that stimulates cancer cell growth. The side effects of true chemo drugs like adriamycin or Taxol involve comlpete scalp hair loss. I think Perjeta, another anti Her2 neu drug can cause hair loss
but its not in the same league as Adrriamycin or Taxol as far as hair loss goes.

Talk with your oncologist about this. That is a must. But take it one step further. Ask for studies showing Vitamin C Vitamin B-12 interference with Herceptin.

Im sorry for the rambling. You thought you were asking a simple question. Yet this "simple question" is like walking a tightrope. The question of supplements has arisen before. Maybe some of women on the board will jump in and give their opinions and experiences.

Paul
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote