View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #4
Tom

Steph, R.B.

Good for you Steph. I'm glad you went with your intuition on that decision. I'm not making any recommendations to anyone that is about to have surgery, but I was very concerned when Mom's surgeon assured me that her choice of clear margin thickness was satisfactory to her. Of course Mom's cancer had already developed micromets in her axilla, but they were not examined more closely partially due to the "clear margins" found during the actual surgery.

R.B.,
I am and have been for some time, fascinated by the whole telomere story. They are thought to be, by some researchers, the link to immortality of sorts, as they are the biological aging clock for individual cells. I think they will be found to also be one of the prime suspects in many cancers, as they are supposed to let the cell know that it's "time to drink the hemlock ". Telomeres may be a two-edged sword. If you mess with them, they could let bad things happen, as is the case when they don't do their job. It will get interesting down the road.

Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote