View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #9
PositivePeg

Re: Felling so alone . . .

Hello everyone!
Thank you so much for your responses - esp about trying to reassure others. Traci - you're right about feeling betrayed by my body. I survived injuries from a motorcycle accident in 2013, then I had my entire spine rotated & fused (aggressive scoliosis) in 2014. The recovery is 2 years & my breast cancer diagnosis came at the 13.5 month mark! Jackie, at this point I may always be waiting for the next 'hit'.

As far as having surgery first, protocol used to be chemo first for 2 reasons: insurance wouldn't cover the type of chemo needed for Her2 unless it was done first AND because, as mentioned, tumors would shrink during chemo, with the possibility of having a lumpectomy instead of a mastectomy. I have 5 tumors in my right breast. Shrinkage won't help me avoid a mastectomy - they're all spread out. My surgeon & oncologist have agreed to surgery first, so they'll have the exact pathology report of ALL the tumors to determine the best chemo treatment. I have a great deal of confidence in my surgeon and the team she has put together for me. She's very picky - even about who reads test results.
Thank you for several responses with input about which should come first, but this plan makes the most sense to me - in my case. I want the tumors out, NOW.

My emotions have been all over the place. I went to my granddaughter's 5th birthday party & it seemed like I was 'outside' of myself - observing the party. Too weird!
I 'think' I spelled things right today!,
PositivePeg is offline   Reply With Quote