View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
jacqueline1102

Re: Felling so alone . . .

Greetings Peg,

I second what the others have been saying; the standard of care these days is to administer chemo first so as to shrink the tumor load and see how well you respond to the chemo. Then surgery and then radiation. I would advise seeking a second opinion as well and having someone in your family go with you to that appointment to take lots of notes.

As far as reassuring others, please use that emotional energy towards yourself. I hear all too often as a provider as well as myself, being a patient, that the patient diagnosed with the cancer spends an exorbiante amount of energy on how others are coping. And yet somehow, others do not know how to respond to the cancer patient; yet so willing to accept the reasssurance from the patient who is suffering. We also know that coping becomes particularly challenging when the patient has had previous traumas. The body then becomes activated and we are on high alert, watching for the next hit so to speak. Please take care of yourself during this time line of treatment (and after). And talking with someone as in other patients or a provider who "gets it" about cancer treatment not just a provider (psychotherapist) who is a generalist.

Hope this all makes sense. Peace to you,

Jackie
5/12-7/12 33 Radiation treatments
8/1/12 Started Perjeta along with the Herceptin
10/12 Scans said NED for first time
5/15 UWSeattle Vaccine Trial 3 months
12/16 Scans still show NED. Herceptin and Perjeta continue indef.
8/17 Taken off Perjeta;staying on Herceptin. Still NEAD.
3/18 Still NEAD
8/19 Now on Subcutaneous Herceptin
10/21 Remain on Subcutaneous Herceptin (Hylecta)
11/21 CT showed possible lung mets. Was told to wait and see until scan
1/22 CT shows continued growth
03/22 Lung Biopsy said sample was too small but nodules keep growing and IR is convinced that it is indeed cancer
04/22 Oncologist referred for consult for a transbronchial biopsy. This does not sound pleasant
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote