View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #12
Mtngrl

Re: CEA: How low can you go?!

Hi Tiffany,

Thank you so much for your words of concern and encouragement. I appreciate it. And I'll definitely share what we decide to do next, and report on results.

I would not say Eribulin didn't work. My onc agrees. She said, "If you hadn't been on that treatment we'd be looking at a very different scan today." It, like many of my prior treatments, controlled the cancer relatively well. In fact, when I re-read the report I think I might have called it "stable."

I have had some physical impairment from the amount of cancer activity that I currently have. Also there's a sense of slowly losing ground. So it would be nice to find a treatment that unambiguously "resolves" more of my lesions, or, better yet, gets me to "NED." But my personal definition of "stable" is "no new lesions" and "cancer activity is about the same as last time." I have been in that zone for almost all the time I've been in treatment.

Some people get a robust remission on their first round of treatment and it lasts a long time. With respect to my liver mets, that happened for me. But then the bone met popped up, and later I got tumors in my lungs. We haven't yet knocked those out and kept them down.

I think in your case you stand a good chance of being in the first group, because you're getting the new first-round standard of care. I certainly hope so. But if you don't get a complete response, don't despair. Lots of us are harboring measurable amounts of cancer in our bodies, but it's not getting in the way too much. I'm alive and I can function. I call that a success.

All the best,
Amy
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote