View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #17
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Smile Just had to respond...

Brenda it is always so interesting to read your thoughts. I really would have enjoyed talking to your Mother from all you write. Thanks for sharing that. It's nice to get to know a person by understanding where they came from. Adds another layer to our perspective.

My Mother was very bright, extremely alert and aware, well-read, politically astute and quite timid. She did not speak up publicly. I knew her views from private conversations. My Mother was always a lady, as many commented over the years to me. She was a genteel Southerner who was hard-working, dedicated and highly empathetic. My Sister and I were brought up to be well mannered and considerate of all people, regardless of their station in life. To be kind-hearted people. Mom was a liberal thinker and stunning to look at.

Believe it or not, I was quite shy growing up, well into my twenties. Slowly, I began expressing my thoughts, as I often noted that someone would say exactly what it was I was just thinking. I had worried I would look foolish saying such things, but others comments were well-received. So I was encouraged. And as you can see, I have overcome my hesitancy to share my thoughts.

I've always cared deeply about others, sensed their pain, wanted to help. Considered being a psychologist at one point. I was counseling friends when I was in grade school. Honestly. And my Daughters were the same. I'd pass them on the phone in our kitchen, little girls, telling their friends such words of wisdom beyond their years, advising others with genuine caring and understanding, apparently assuaging their angst. Wow! Good for them, I'd think. And it always bemused me as I witnessed this. Genes I spose...

I think my Mother would be pleased with my spiritual progress in this life (open-minded as she was). I admire my Daughters' generosity of Spirit w/friends and strangers to this day. I am proud!

Don't we each wish to make our parents proud of us, even when we become grown? Instinctively, it is ingrained in our psyches. On Mother's Day I send my girls cards, expressing my pride in the fabulous job they are doing. They are obviously deeply touched by this praise coming from me. I am most sincere, and they know it. I say, and write, what I truly think. Sometimes this does not please them, gentle though I try to be. Oh dear.

I believe that as we speak and act, it would be good to keep that goal of pleasing our Moms in the back of our minds. Do the right thing, I was taught. You know what that means, my Mom would often say, trustingly.

Brenda and Jean -- you are both extraordinary ladies, perfect examples of that old saw -- surely the apple doesn't fall from the tree... I have great admiration for you both. With LOVE...
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote