View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #27
sarah

Re: Evidence Mounts on Heart Failure After Trastuzumab in Breast Cancer Survivors

Wow! great discussion! yes we all hope for more directed, personalized treatment.
Just wanted to point out that I had a heart problem, heart attack (didn't know I'd had one!!), 100% blocked artery, had to have an angioplasty and stent put in.
I saw 3 different cardiologists at 2 different hospitals and of course asked the obvious question, particularly since I'd been on Herceptin for 6 years but had now been off it for nearly 2 - "is it the Herceptin?" and all 3 immediately said "No! it's the radiation" 2 of them showed me my radiation tatoos. I had heart sonograms (echographie du coeur) every 3 months during Herceptin and it was always good and constant.
Brenda thanks for the reminder about the teeth, I am pretty good about it.
So I think anyone who had radiation, particularly outside the breast area, should be followed by a cardiologist and be aware of chest pains and breathing.
While I'm sorry my heart and lungs were damaged, I'm just grateful that after the recurrence and the very scary news it came with, that I got Herceptin for so long and radiation despite radiation's side effects, which by the way the New York Times (and I'm sure other papers) are talking a lot about.
I'll make sure that everyone in our support group, particularly those who take Herceptin and have radiation, know the importance of seeing a cardiologist and not just for the Muga or echo.
Love this site and appreciate your info, great that you keep us so informed.
I am so terribly sorry Greg and Phil for your losses and send you a cyber hug. You are exceptional people to keep so involved and it's so appreciated.
health and happiness
Sarah
sarah