View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
rhondalea

Re: Potential New Benefit Of Pure Maple Syrup On Liver Health

I had a terrible, gnawing craving for waffles, so I used this study to justify the purchase of maple syrup and organic whole wheat pancake mix. To the pancake mix, I added protein powder for an extra boost.

The mistake was the "whole wheat" part--I ended up with two dry and grainy pancakes that were reasonably nutrient-rich, but otherwise inedible.

Craving still raging, I then bought a box of Eggo buttermilk waffles as well as a package of Jimmy Dean sausages. It was a feast (if you can call two waffles and two sausages a feast). Given all that self-indulgence, I at least had the consolation of knowing that the maple syrup I poured on is good for me.

More seriously, as far as I'm concerned, sugar is sugar is sugar. I mean, it's nice that certain sugars have some nutritional value--and as a sop to the common wisdom, those are the ones I use on the rare occasions I add sugar to what I'm eating--but having experienced the effects of both a high and low sugar diet, I feel a whole lot better on the latter. Seems to me the rats would've been better served if the scientists had removed all the syrup and replaced it with fresh fruits instead. (Rats love a wide variety of fruits--ours would eat any we would deign to share, including prunes.)

Still, my waffles tasted awfully good, so it was worth deluding myself for the time it took to heat and eat them.

Last edited by rhondalea; 09-25-2011 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: stupid typo
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote