View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 05:51 AM   #5
Mary Jo

Re: Cancelled reconstruction

I can totally understand. I, too, struggled with the DIEP decision. I ALMOST cancelled on at least 5 occasions. My reasons though were mostly fear based however I remember one specific occasion though, where the office staff really was messing things up with scheduling and a few other things and I thought..........I AM PUTTING MY LIFE IN THESE PEOPLE'S HANDS??......NO WAY! I called and spoke to the PA first and let my concerns be known. She listened and sympathized but it did nothing to calm my fears and uncertainties. So, my husband and I made an appointment to go in and speak directly to my surgeon. I told him exactly how I felt. I tried to relay to him what a big deal this surgery was for me and that although this was "common place" for him and his staff, it surely wasn't for me and my husband.

Long story short.....I did go ahead with the surgery and have never regretted a day. However, if I were you and could get no where with the doctor and his staff, I, too, would have cancelled. You need someone who is compassionate and kind. Someone who makes you feel as if you are his only patient.

Gentle hugs and much understanding.......

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED