View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
Paula O

Re: The HER2 group at San Antonio 2012

I really liked the format of the Her2 presentation the evening that photo was taken: after a delicious dinner the panel of drs spoke. It was great hearing from one of our Her2 Heros, Dr Slamon. Nice guy. Then different scenereos of patient cases were presented and each table came up with their choice of treatment and voted thier answer on the ipad and you could see statistically how the entire room of people voted. I've learned so much here on this website and in my own journey through Cancerland,I was able to contribute to coming up with the right answers in the cases presented. It seemed that most of the folks at my table either knew nothing about Her2 positive breast cancer or most of them sure didn't want to express their opinion of what should be done in each patient case anyway even after learning from the presentation. Only three of us were willing to give our input each time although we tried to include everyone--oh well.

I was the sole woman at a table of 8 men. During dinner I had a very interesting conversation with a friendly, young breast surgeon from Brazil that was sitting to my right. A scientist from Germany sat to my left but I don't think he spoke a lot of english. An advocate told me about the "Bravia" reconstruction procedure and so I asked this breast surgeon about it. He likes the results of that method and personally knows the doc who developed it in Miami: http://www.miamibreastcenter.com/rec...stectomy-miami --it says no incisions, implants, or new scars and apparently most sensation is maintained--a transfer of your own fat via injection after your skin is loosened up. Anybody here do it this way or have input about it from the website? Here are some of the before and after photos:
http://www.miamibreastcenter.com/rec...e-after-photos
It says no scars but the photos do look like there's a scar on their abdomens. Where did the mastectomy scar go in the first photo I wonder? It looks gone but i don't know how that can be. I have not had reconstruction. This method is of interest to me possibly. No more surgery and the pain that typically goes along with reconstruction sounds good to me.

From the site:

• No Foreign Objects
  • No Cuts or Incisions
  • No Scars
  • Liposuction
    (body sculpting)
  • Quick Recovery
  • Natural Breasts
  • Near Normal Sensation (reconstruction)

Paula
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote