View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 04:39 AM   #12
Paula O

Re: Thinking and Praying for our Sister

(((Hugs)))) for you and your Mom, Jen.

These may well be things you are already doing or perhaps not even a good fit for your family but here are a few ideas if you are interested:

Would your Mom possibly enjoy browsing through an old photo album with you (or listen to you reminise through special memories as you go through pictures if she's not up to looking at them too)? I do not know how alert Sheila is, but from my old nursing days I remember non-responsive patients "waking up" later to say they heard exact conversations even when they could not speak themselves at the time. Body positioning and regularly assisting people change positions can make a world of difference in their comfort. Not everybody, but some people really enjoy beautiful music or stroking a pet or something soft when they are very ill when offered these choices. We have some precious memories saved by form of an audio tape we made of my husband's grandpa sharing some memories. Sometimes a video or a photo of friends and relatives gathered around their loved one is a lovely keepsake, sometimes not.

Remember that one of the things you can do for your Mom is to take good care of YOU, too through this very difficult time--don't forget to eat and hydrate yourself well, take short walks/breaks in, and make time for the sleep you need to function well.

We care about your Mom and you and your dear family.

Lovingly,

Paula
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote