View Single Post
Old 03-29-2016, 10:41 PM   #29
Jedrik

Re: Working thread - what do you think the HER2+ standard of care should be really?

Quote:
Why not try and see if we can do less and track the changes rather than do more and hope it was enough?
Don't we all wish this were possible in all cases? I'm still in therapy for stage II BC and had to decide whether to do radiation - declined that as even the radiologist indicated in my case it might do more harm than good and still have to decide about Antihormonal Therapy as, contrary to what was said initially, 2% ER (in DCIS, none in IDC of same breast) isn't nothing and has to be treated as per guideline. They hide behind guidelines, I have to decide, frantically trying to gain knowledge I need in order to make that decission.

Always "Better safe that sorry" and we end up accumulating all those side effects, some of them irreversible.

With chemo as it is now - I got the same treatment, same results and still waiting for leukos to get up to a decent level - there's the problem that's the one real problem cancer cells always pose: They learn how to grow under any circumstances because they have forgotten how to die when defect. So if they get hit with something that doesn't kill them all at once you get some live ones that easily replace those that could be eliminated by this therapy. And you end up with even faster growing cancer, now completely resistant to this therapy. Some Her2 cancers can even be radiation resistant if I understood that correctly.

For me the most promising way out of this seems to be the approach to teach the immune system how to recognize cancer cells as to be eliminated and get our own bodies to sort this out properly. It can't get any more selective than that.
start 10/19/2015 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)
Targeted Therapy start 10/19/2015 Herceptin (trastuzumab), Perjeta (pertuzumab)
Surgery 02/23/2016 MX Left, PMX Right
Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote