View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
phil

Re: news from ASCO-- some joyous, some a downer--may set things back a bit

i have to say your doc sounds like a downer - especially when she gives you such a very up to date tx regimen, the full ptoential of is not yet known but very promising. 2 biologics shuting off multiple pathways. plus a taxane chemo to clean out the weakened cancer cells. i think u should consider tx at a top research hospital, or at least a 2nd opinion. we have greeat confidence in out doc , ansd she would never , has never talked like that. after perjeta , if u even need it , comes t dm-1. it would be good if more docs would combine the 2. some do on thier own. that combo is another near future step forward. my wife is doing very well on just t dm-1. . my feeling is that t dm-1 is stronger than perj for aggressive her2 , as its a chemo and biologic. so you have it uf u need it. Farber is doing a trial on a doxil / 2 biologics ( i think herceptin and perj ) combined t dm-1 style. neratinib shows promise. other inhibitors like it are in lab studies/ trials. plus immunotherpy / oncolytic viral agents , and more in development .
We Stage IV Rights activists are doing our best to speed up this Slow FDA - led approval system . Farber has noticed an uptick in new , more effective drugs coming out since 2005. and that is putting pressure on both the FDA and pharma.
There actually is more focus on this slow FDA - and pressure is showing in their approvals - reversing the ban on iclusig, a leukemia drug, after pt. / dr. pressure ( a group of docs speaking up with thier pts was a first ! ) . and fda's granting of breakthrough status to er + drug palbociclib, now priority review for olaprib for ovarina, and more pressure will come from Us ! We Support the State by State " Right To Try " law to fix the compassionate use system . here is my wifes' testimony in favor of the law : http://youtu.be/AkQOLGpXf98. So, do not lose Hope - God Bless, and Heal !
phil is offline   Reply With Quote