Thread: Reconstruction
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #37
KsGal

Re: Reconstruction

Wow..I surpriesed by some of these stories. I had a double mastectomy in November with immediate reconstruction with expanders. Those horrible JP drains were the worst thing about it. Gosh those things hurt. When they removed them in the office I about jumped off the table. I didn't have any problem with infection, although I did have to have a revision of my scar because the skin around it died. The expanders are hard and awkward and look strange...but I don't have to wear a bra and look somewhat normal in clothes. After my first fill I found out I was stage IV, and went through a time where I just didn't see the point in going on with the fills and reconstruction (was having a pity party). I think now I will finish with the reconstruction, but I don't think I want to take it on until my rounds of TCH are finished. My doctors were borderline on me having radiation (I had 3 positive nodes, and apparently they feel four positive nodes indicates radiation). My PS said radiation would ruin the reconstruction. Of course now Im stage IV, I would think I will have radiation at some point. There was a woman in my PS office when I was there who had undergone a reconstruction three years previous, and she was having her implants removed and regretted ever getting them.
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote