Thread: Ugh Brain Mets!
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #33
embur102

Re: Ugh Brain Mets!

Hi Bev.

I had rebound swelling and necrosis from Gamma knife 6 months after the treatment. Was put back on a heavy dose of dex----how we all know the UGH that comes with dex!!--and watched and waited. ( discussed the very real chance of awake craniotomy needing to happen...on Christmas Eve! Dodged that bullet, thankfully)

Symptoms subsided with the steroids, and the follow up MRI showed significantly decreased edema. The next MRI showed minimal edema and a slight decrease in necrosis and tumor size, no new lesions. Scheduled for a 6 month MRI in November...so far, no neurological symptoms, so I am hoping for continued good news.

I was on Keppra....made my depression worse.tried Lamictal but had an allergic reaction, now on Vimpat, hoping to wean off that if good MRI report in November.

Surprising to say, and experience!, but there IS life after/with brain mets...I am alive, and functioning well, 16 months after brain mets diagnosis, and subsequent liver mets dx. A year ago, I was sure I wouldn't be alive in September 2015....yet, here I am. This disease is a difficult thing to track, it can change course at the drop of a hat. I am so grateful we have each other!!
4.2 cm, 2/14 nodes +
3 AC, 4 T/H
Zoladex 4 months
Oophorectomy Feb 2013
AI daily
Herceptin every 3 wks until Sept 2013
Gamma Knife June 2014, 2 cm brain met
Liver mets Oct 2014
Taxotere/herceptin/perjeta-CLEOPATRA trial Nov 2014-Mar 2015

"RISK BEING SEEN, IN ALL OF YOUR GLORY!" Jim Carrey
embur102 is offline   Reply With Quote