View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
'lizbeth

Re: mastectomy versus lumpectomy for HER2

With scattered calcification - I don't understand the consideration of a lumpectomy. I ran into the same situation with my first surgeon. The 2nd surgeon seemed to have a better grasp on my situation. I had multiple lesions and DCIS in the right breast - so mastectomy was the best option and the 2nd surgeon understood this.

I did not want to be left with a huge breast on one side and no breast on the other. I was mortified.

The 2nd surgeon made arrangements with plastic surgeon for an immediate reconstruction. At that time the best option given to me was a TRAM reconstruction - which took one rectus abdominus muscle and about 6 inches of adipose tissue from my abdomen. This is a major surgery compared to a mastectomy with more risk and a longer recovery period. However I now have 2 breasts and the majority of people do not even notice the difference in size. I did not opt for silicone or saline implants.

The back surgery mentioned by Sarah is the Latissimus Dorsi flap reconstruction. Which detaches the muscle from the Iliac crest and brings it and the adipose tissue up and around to form the base and blood supply of the breast. Other sources of tissue for a reconstruction could come from areas of the buttocks.

Today microsurgery options such as the DIEP and others exist - that do not use a muscle for the blood supply. Reconstruction surgery has advanced and I've read of harvesting of 2 sources of blood supply (different veins or arteries). I had a partial loss so would recommend asking about this.

You can go to the Plastic surgery website, or Google for more info.

http://www.plasticsurgery.org/recons...struction.html

Having a breast reconstruction is not just for vanity. It can help one recover from the breast cancer experience by restoring a feeling of wholeness.

I will chime in with the others - I think it would be helpful to have a second opinion on the surgery options.

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 11-24-2013 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: typo
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote