View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
Lien

Re: I Need a Pep Talk...Very Discouraged Today

Hi Denise,

There's no way of knowing what lies in our futures. Since I entered breastcancerland 7,5 years ago, I've seen women recur who had an almost 100% chance of surviving their disease, and I've seen women reaching NED (No Evidence of Disease) status after a Stage 4 diagnosis. So your oncologist is right: you have a good chance. Actually, your odds are probably much better, because of the newer drugs you are taking. In 10 years time, perhaps, we will say: We were the lucky ones; we had Her2 positive disease.

We all know how it feels: we bravely endure what we have to endure to get better, and then suddenly it hits us: we could have died and we could still die. That is the scariest feeling. But believe me, this feeling will subside. We go on with our lives and we will get used to the "new normal". Every day is one more day that we have survived. We go back to bickering and getting upset about the little things. And more and more cancer is shoved into the background. Unless we notice an ache, a cough, a weird symptom. Then for a while it all comes back. Until we find out it is ok. Or it isn't, and then we deal with it.

You have a good chance of never ever having to deal with cancer again. Focus on that, if you can.

Hugs

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote