View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 02:59 PM   #16
Alberta

Thumbs up

I am new here and am not sure exactly how to navigate the board, so please bear with me.
I am an 80 year old mom with a daughter newly diagnosed with mets. This is from a invasive ductal, node negative, her2neu overexpressed breast cancer.
It was first discovered April 2003. She had a lumpectomy followed by chemo and radiation to the area.
The first scan showed mets to the pelvis and a chest wall lymph node lighting up. She has since gone to MD Anderson and had repeat testing and scans. Those results not back yet.
She is planning to do a clinical trial phase 1-2 with several chemotherapy agents followed by a vaccine for the CEA markers that were elevated right before the clinical evidence of disease was found. I believe CEA125 and some others are included. This trial is being conducted at NIH in Bethesda, Maryland.
This trial tries to lower the immune response of the patient, before giving all the vaccine injections
Some of her white cells will be removed before chemo and then given back to her during the treatment process. She asked what I thought, but I could see she was determined to proceed matter my opinion.
As fast as her cancer returned she is worried that she needs to do this to survive any length of time.
So that process is starting as I write and she hopes to get accepted. This is for newly diagnosed mets that have not as yet been treated. Her2neu+++ and her2 neg accepted.
alberta
Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote