View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
chrisy

Re: Life changed November 09

Skip,
I don't know if you checked out my bio, but my mets diagnosis was in my liver (only) even though it was extensive. For some reason the liver is on of the places her2+ likes to go, so it is fairly common to have that be the first/only site. You do want to be sure what you're dealing with, so it's good she's had an MRI - you might check out a bone scan just for a baseline if she has not had that. But so far, it looks like she's only dealing with liver mets - and the liver is the one organ in the body that can regenerate.

I didn't have taxotere, I had taxol/carboplatin/herceptin. So I can't comment on the side effects. I do remember the herceptin loading dose also can cause problems. Make sure her doctor or nurse is aware of the symptoms, there may be something they can do to mitigate. Or they might get better on their own.

Skip, the beginning of chemo was really hard for me. Not so much physically as much as complete fear and dismay that this could be happening to me. But treatments can be very effective, and Her2+ cancer generally responds very well to the taxanes. You just have to view the chemo as your friend - strong medicine - and have faith it will work.

One tip on the taxotere, it can cause damage to the nailbeds so everyone getting that at my clinic put bags of frozen peas on their fingers and toes during the taxotere infusion. It sounds goofy, but I actually saw a study confirming this does help (the study used something more controlled than frozen veggies, but the point was, it was cold!) One lady had a wonderful spouse who came with her and rubbed her feet afterwards - everyone was quite jealous.

Hope she feels better soon. Remember, however bad she feels, the stupid cancer cells feel even worse!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote