View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #10
AlaskaAngel

Re: why is there no test for cumulative radiation

SoCalGal,

I've sorta gotten to the Ancient History level myself (2002, at age 51). I agree with Sarah that because younger people may be more vulnerable to the early exposure and toxicity, I have concern about them in particular.

However, I don't understand why it is taking so long for any formal general guidelines to be in place for tracking our repeated exposure to rads from the very beginning. I'm glad to hear that at least one doctor seems to be aware and actively doing it.

As an Alaskan who was diagnosed initially in Alaska, and then seen in Seattle at a cancer center for mammos, MRI's and recommendations (with additional CTs and imaging in Alaska, and then eventually also breast radiation post-lumpectomy in California).... the total for cumulative exposure is a little harder to track, but in the best interests of the patient, I still believe it wouldn't be impossible to do it accurately. My providers never had a clue when I spoke with each one as to what my rads exposure over time had been.... and still don't.

They need to get on it. It has been 14 years since I was diagnosed with cancer, and I'm sure that in that time-frame, there have been plenty of care providers who completed advanced training to competently THINK about such things, who have also been diagnosed with cancer...
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote