View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
Jean

Re: CNN Report Promising Cure Vaccine

Yes Sherry I did watch it on the news and it was in our newspaper.

They are calling it a BREAKTHROUGH headline reads:

BREAKTHROUGH may end breast tumors.
The test study on mice have been overwhelmingly favorable results. Dr. Vincent Tuohy who led the resarch at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio said there was evidence in the initial tests that the vaccine could prevent cancers from forming and stop the growth of existing tumors.

If it works in humans the way it works in mice, this will be monumental. They believe this vaccine will someday be used to prevent breast cancer. Researchers injected the test vaccine into six mice that were specifically bred to be prone to breast cancer. None developed any signs of tumors. Six other mice bred in the same way were
injected with a placebo vaccine and all developed tumors.

The drug makes the immune system attack a particular protein found in most breast cancer cells and in the mammary tissue of breast feeding women.

If clinical tests of the vaccine on humans are successful, women over 40 could be vaccinated.

This is an early stage study, and large scale clinical trials will begin to find out if this vaccine would be safe and effective in humans.

As I listened to the news I had tears streaming down my face, thinking of all our losses this year and hopefully the bright future that awaits us. (of course there will be years of study).

Each day we get closer.
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 06-03-2010 at 12:24 AM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote