View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
twosenuf99

In the hospital and need advice

I am hoping someone can help me.

I saw my Plastic Surgeon last Thursday and she noticed I was beginning an infection in the area of my incision on the non-affected side. She put me on Bactrim until I saw her a week later.

Unfortunately over the weekend things got worse the infection spread across my chest and fevers were running wild. Called the doctor Monday but she was in surgery all day so she asked me to come in on Tuesday morning. Went to the appointment and ended up in the hospital with a PICC line in and am now on Vacomycin. They ran blood work and found there is not enough antibiotic in my system so they have upped the meds. Already was informed I am going home with the PICC line and antibiotics.

My question is the doctor may take the expander out tomorrow morning "wash" it and return it to my chest or just remove it altogether since my infection is no better no worse since I was admitted. Has anyone had this procedure done???? Obviously I know if she takes it out and leaves it out I can not have it put back in until I am all done treatment which will not be until 2013. I am not sure I want to jump to surgery since they realized I have not been getting the proper dose of meds. Is it wise to ask the doctor to hold off on the surgery to give the meds a little longer to work at the new dose or just do it and be done. Obviously I do not want to jeopardize my life with an infection and she said since the implant is a foreign body it may not allow my body to heal but I hate the thought of more unplanned surgery. I was originally supposed to have my port replaced tomorrow and start my next round of chemo next Monday but that is now all put on hold which gives the cancer a chance to come back while I am fighting this infection..

Someone please throw me some advice. I am just not sure what to do..

Thank you very much
Tracy
Diagnosed right Invasive Ductal Breast Cancer which spread to my lymph node 5-13-2011.
Between Stage 2 and 3 with tumors grade III. ER/PR- but Her2neu+++
PET Scan clear
Breast MRI showed 2 masses in left, 5 in the right and 2 in the lymph node.
Biopsy of left mass benign
Joined clinical trial which required second biopsy of one of the right masses
Port placed May 27, 2011
Began Chemo (Taxol, Herceptin and Tykerb) on June 1, 2011 - September 12, 2011
Bi-lateral Mastectomy with reconstruction (expanders) October 3, 2011
FEC 12 weeks
Radiation 6 weeks
Herceptin 8 months finish September 2012
Exchange surgery August 3, 2012
Been NED since October 2011
Lymphedema right arm since Nov 2013
twosenuf99 is offline   Reply With Quote