View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #25
Lien

Re: Aphasia?? First symptom brain mets???

I only saw this today, or I would have replied straight away. Sounds like a migraine attack to me. Have had them since I was 13, and over the years symptoms changed and changed back. They depend on the location of the attack. So sometimes half my face goes numb, sometimes I get aphasia, and sometimes I can't move my hand for a while, depending on which part of the brain is affected. Stress and anxiety, lack of sleep or changing food patterns can trigger attacks in some people. Also hormonal changes can have an effect.I find that in Spring I always get an attack 24 hrs after visiting a Nature Reserve near our hometown. Apparently there's something that pollinates there that triggers my attacks. I'm fine during the rest of the year. My neurologist explained that an attack starts "building up" 24 hours before the first major symptoms start.
I hope you don't have other attacks like these, and if you do, that you can just let the attack run its course.
Oh, and if your GP prescribes one of the new migraine meds, please know that some of them cut the first attack, but then the attack returns the next day. This was the case for my son and me. Doctors say it isn't possible, but on a Dutch migraine site, several patients reported this effect.
My son, who has terrible attacks, finds major relief from indomethacin, a strong NSAID. According to the neurologist, this shouldn't be working, but it does. He had attacks that lasted up to 20 hours, with continuous vomiting (every 10 minutes) for up to 12 hours. With these meds he falls asleep after half an hour, and has no vomiting, or just once, before he falls asleep. He then sleeps through the whole attack.
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote