Thread: Port Problems
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 10:24 PM   #9
Lolly

Hi Anne,

The port that Sheila mentions is actually called a "Power Port". Here's a link to the site describing it:

Bard Power Port
http://www.crbard.com/news/innovatio...lantedPort.cfm

I had my old port replaced recently with this type of port specifically so I could receive the CT injections and other "high speed contrast" injections, as I have lymphedema in both arms and needle sticks are a real danger for me as they aggravate the lymphedema. Your surgeon will have to confer with the CT/MRI department to insure that their imaging programs will accomadate the slight difference in the speed at which the dye circulates through the system, as the software is set to a precise timing related to the injection.

The procedure for placing the power port is the same as the one you underwent for the port you now have, hopefully there would not be any complications. Mine is placed on my left upper chest, just above the bra line. I had no problem with my procedure, and the port is comfortable although still somewhat tender to sleep on that side(it's been one month since the surgery).

I haven't had a scan yet which would necessitate using the port, but my nurses at my infusion room have told me to just come there (lucky for me located just across the way from the imaging department),and they will access the port for the scan techs, leaving the cathetar line in place for the techs to plug their line into, then I will go back to the nurses after and they will withdraw the line. That way no problems with inept techs damaging the port as it does take special training to do an access.

The reason they don't use regular ports for these type of high speed injections is the contrast goes in at a much faster rate than the slow IV drips, and it could possibly "blow" the catheter line from the port resevoir. Not a good thing. The power ports are designed to withstand the high speed injections. They are of course fine for the usual IV's and draws.
Hope this helps.

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote