View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #101
R.B.

Re: Iodine deficiency ! - falling intakes - goitregens - competition bromine and fluo

A while ago I posted this link to a paper looking at the accumulation of iodine in various tissues in pigs.

http://www.vri.cz/docs/vetmed/46-6-153.pdf

A the moment I am wading my way through the 1000 pages plus of this not inexpensive text book on iodine http://books.google.com/books?id=7v7...iodine&f=false

I am again struck that the majority position still seems to be that most of the iodine in the body is found in the thyroid, despite the claims of some that this is not the case. I have not found any papers that definitively clarify this point.

From my reading I would suggest the relative proportions of iodide in the thyroid and wider tissue depends on the iodine intake status.

The linked paper Fig 3 and 4 clearly show that the amount of iodine in wider body tissue increases dramatically as intake increases; for example from a few micorgrams to in excess of 2mg per Kg in dorsal fat. For a 90kg pig, given the amounts of iodine found in other tissues based on the figures in the graph, the amount of iodine in a 90kg pig would mount up.

The amount in the thyroid at the highest intake is about 6 milligrams total, based on their figures.

The data in the above would suggest that at least in pigs where iodine intake is on the higher side, significantly more iodine will be found in the wider body tissues than the thyroid, which is what Venturi claims in the paper on the first page. The wider role of iodine in the body, and the examination of optimal requirements of tissues in addition to those of the thyroid may well result in the redefinition of the western guidelines on the optimal uptake of iodine.

The role of iodine / iodide / iodine in all its forms in many of the body's tissues including in female reproductive tissues remains to varying degrees to be clarified, and does not get much research funding because you cannot patent iodine, and iodine is very cheap in comparative terms. . .

Last edited by R.B.; 11-08-2014 at 12:15 PM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote