View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 06:13 PM   #237
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Glad You Asked

Nancy, After initial dx I got ev 3 mnth comprehensive bld tests. In Jan '98 my doc called and said EVERYTHING IS GOOD. Good, I echoed. Well, you just have slightly elevated liver enzymes, but it is very slight. I wouldn't worry about it. Okay. End of conversation.

3 mnths later -- same exact discussion. What could be causing that?, I asked. It could be a lot of things, your cholesterol med, a lot of things. I wouldn't worry about it. For me, it hung in the air. I do not like any of my #s not being within *normal* range, even slightly off. I question them!

July '98 -- same scenario. I took charge. Can I have a liver sonogram? You mean an abdominal sonogram. (He thinks.) I guess we could substantiate that (was he thinking about the insurance co. paying?!). I'll write you a scrip. Do you want to make the appt or should I have Renee do it. I'll call. I went for sono. Radiologist apologized but said he couldn't be sure what he was looking at. (I think he knew.) I have to send you for a CT scan. I'm sorry. Not a problem, I thought, better to be sure...

CT scan results came a few days after being taken, doc called and said, *abnormal* cells. I was waiting for MALIGNANT / BENIGN. Hanging by the phone. My husband calling every half hour. Why don't you and Paul come in this afternoon and we'll talk. I called Paul and reported. What does that mean?, he asked me. I didn't know. I was guessing *pre cancerous* cells, hoping, ever optimistic. My tumor markers were *normal*.

I was told I had multiple tumors in the liver, most likely malignant. I was already 4th stage metastatic ILC (w/2 nodes out of 18). Liver biopsy confirmed the worst. I CAUGHT IT! Months before tumor markets started to climb. I can't go by tumor markers, onc told me for future.

What you have is inoperable, incurable and you will be on longterm chemotherapy for the rest of your life. Well, inoperable was good, keeping me strong for the chemo. Incurable, okay, ca is a *chronic* condition, must be watched vigilantly, but they have many weapons in their arsenal to *control* it. You just have to find the right recipe for you. And longterm chemotherapy turned out to be longterm *monoclonal antibody* which is a cake walk compared to... So I called a miracle to me, lousy prognosis, less than 15%... Shocked I'm still here. That is *they/the docs* are shocked. I felt confident, full of faith, that I would be in that little group that survived. I believe with all my heart that attitude, and what we think all day, calls our desired destiny to us. I wish every woman on this board NED. I send my Sisters love, compassion, prayers, admiration, gratitude and awe... ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote