View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #20
LuckyLinda

Talking Re: Itchy rash-Herceptin?

The constant itching is driving me crazy---my arms, neck, back and chest are all "rolled-in-fiberglass" itchy. My radiation oncologist identified a rash on my chest as "radiation dermatitis" and prescribed a steroid cream. I am also using a product she recommended called "Radiaderm"--a two-step system for skin care in the radiated area. However....I have a virtually identical rash on my upper back in a area that is not being radiated. The nurse said it wouldn't be related and didn't even look at it. I have little area that bleed when I rub it, although my nails are too short to scratch effectively. I am really, really tempted to use a nail file to scratch! I tried adding a Benadryl tablet---no relief. I'm wondering if this is a reaction from the Herceptin (last infusion about 11 days ago) or the radiation?
R side modified radical mastectomy on 12/09/11 with immediate reconstruction (expander)
Stage IIB 2 nodes + out of 10 removed
Double power port inserted 1/11/12
Chemo therapy (TCH) - every 21 days for 6 cycles beginning 1/25/12
Finished chemo on 5/21/12
Continue Herceptin only every 3 weeks until 12/28/12 Radiation (28 rads) began 6/26/2012.
Will start Femara after radiation ends (8/03/12)

"The hope for healing is not born out of a fear of death, but a love of life.This is a very good thing. When people love life more than they fear death, they come to treatment with open hands, open hearts, open eyes.When people fear death more than they love life, they are clinging and clutching and grasping."
LuckyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote