Thread: Acrylic nails
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
NEDenise

Re: Acrylic nails

Linn,
I've been wondering about that too. I've never even had a manicure in my whole life...I'm just not a "girly girl" that way. Before cancer, I kept my nails clipped about a quarter inch beyond the tip of my fingers. No polish.

But since chemo, as my nails have grown out, they are so soft, that frequently they break...and before I even have a chance to notice, they catch on things and tear off below the "growth line" (I'm not sure what the real name for that is, but I think you know what I mean.) Then it bleeds, and is very painful for several days till it heals and grows out.

I'm so tired of having sore fingers! And, I never realized how much I relied on my fingernails to do things...texting, picking up small objects, holding veggies while chopping...)

I've been wondering whether acrylic or gel nails would help with this. Keep the nails from breaking off and bleeding I mean.

I'm still on Herceptin, but I'm worried that these are the Taxol era nails that are growing out, and I'm concerned that if the artificial nails catch on something, the extra pressure might pull by entire nail off. Maybe some of you out there who DO and HAVE done the manicure and artificial nail thing could share your sage advice.

Thanks ladies!
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote