View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
jml

Re: Liver Resection Surgery

Hi CB~
An abdominal binder is just a big elastic with velcro that you wrap around your midsection. You can get one at a regular drug store, where all the ankle support & braces are. My doc didn't require that I use one until I was up and around and "moving too much". I argued that I really wasn't, but I was (try pulling wet towels out of the laundry with a long abdominal incision! yowze!)and as a result my incision didn't heal as nicely as it could have, so the extra support actually felt really good.

I always feel like I'm drowning in those giant hospital gowns too - maybe a roomy pj top that buttons down the front and comfy pants would work, especially when you're being examined multiple times a day and required to expose your incision.
While you're in the hospital you'll likely be really tired and sleepy most of the time. I remember I was. You're body is working so hard to heal that there really isn't much extra energy to pay attention to TV, iPad, even visitors. I would warn my visitors that I may fall asleep mid-visit - and often did. Keep visits short and sweet - remember no one is expecting you to entertain them, they just want to see you and see that you're resting and healing well. But bring the iPad anyway - I'm sure you'll be able to link up to the hospital wireless and maybe have enough energy to play Angry Birds
One of my friends brought me a big stuffed animal dog while I was in the hospital and it was nice to have something soft and cushy to hug close to my belly. Just felt comforting & safe. Your docs are going to want you to avoid straining at all costs, and it seemed a little easier to hug my big dog toy or a pillow when I had to cough, sneeze or have a bm. A favorite pillow from home might be more practical!
Even in the first days and weeks at home a walk to the mailbox, or even a shower would require a long nap afterwards. The good news is with each passing week I could feel myself get exponentially stronger and as I mentioned, by the 4th week I was back driving and running short errands.
The body is amazingly resilient and strong and I know you're going to sail through the surgery and return to strength and full health.
I hope this info is helpful...if I can think of other things I'll post again. And please don't hesitate to send me a note
if you have any thoughts or questions.

Keep the Faith!

Jml

ps-will you remind me when you're going in for the surgery. i want to be sure to send you a note with extra healing energy & love!
jml is offline   Reply With Quote