View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 07:26 PM   #22
Bill

Hello Hermiracles! I can imagine how trying that must have been for you and your husband. Thank God it wasn't worse. My wife never had a reaction to Herceptin, but when she began her first treatment, she was on a clinical trial of Lapatinib (Tykerb), Taxol, and Herceptin. At each infusion of the Taxol, they gave her Decadron, Aloxi, and the Benadryl. We discovered early on that if they gave her the Benadryl at the standard rate (10-15 minutes, I think) she got really antsy, so they slowed it to 30 minutes and then she dozed mostly. Sometimes they gave her Ativan as well. At that time she had a "temperamental" port and if she moved very much, it would quit feeding. She had liver mets, but also 2 mets on her spine, and they gave her Zometa once a month as a bone srengthener. I'm not in the medical field, but I was wondering if maybe that could help you as well. I don't know the pros and cons of Zometa, but it made Nikki feel like she had the flu for a few days. Also, at our treatment center, they would give premeds in the same order for everyone, Benadryl, Aloxi, Decadron. I noticed some people were getting sick within 30 minutes of infusion,(some I think were new and understandably scared), so I suggested to the nurses that sometimes Aloxi should be given first in those cases and it seemed to help. Don't be reluctant to ask alot of questions and sometimes the chemo. nurses, God bless them all, do tend to get into the same routine on premeds. Sometimes changing the order may help. Stay strong, Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote