View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 AM   #17
Aussie Girl

Re: Just don't feel like eating...

Hi,

I didn't want to eat either, although I often found if I started and kept myself distracted (talking or reading or crosswords), then I'd find I had finished my meal without noticing. I ate small amounts throughout the day.

If you have nausea, try an anti-nausea drug before a meal. If vague stomach discomfort, ask the doctor for an anti reflux med like Pantoprazole or Lansoprazole. The chemo really makes the stomach irritable and this helps a lot - I took double the normal dose for the duration of chemo on doctors orders.

I found most things tasted weird, especially cereal (cardboard). There was no cure for that.

Sweet things, especially cold things like ice cream and frozen fruit were good. Proteins like meat and soft veges (potato, pumpkin) were also OK most of the time. I could only drink filtered water (try adding a drop or two of lemon), peppermint tea and sometimes cordial (Kool aid in the USA terminology). Ginger ale tasted ok but it upset my gut and carbonated drinks in general were a big no-no.

I read this book http://rebeccakatz.com/books/the-can...hting-kitchen/
which was very interesting although I found the recipes terrifying. I didn't have the energy. However, the author talked about adjusting food flavour using maple syrup or other sweetener, lemon, salt and fat (butter) - just a drop or two of one or the other depending on how the food tastes to the particular person. I did this with soup - it tasted right to me and weird to the rest of the family!

Cheers

Aussie Girl

17 June '13: Screen detected impalpable mass, Mammogram neg, US.
25 June '13: Diagnosed after multiple biopsies and MRIs
28 June '13: Left lumpectomey
4 July '13: Left Mastectomy
12 August '13: Commenced TCH chemo
Mid December '13 : TCH finished. Herceptin continuing three weekly.
4 August 2014- Herceptin infusions finished.
END OF THERAPY - YAY!
Aussie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote