View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #19
Donna

Shorter Time on Herceptin - My Thoughts (hopes!)

Hi Amazing Group,

I only received 7 months of Herceptin and was taken off for LVEF issues. I met with my oncologist last week to see about continuing now that my LVEF is bouncing back to 61. We decided to leave it here, no more herceptin based on:
1 - the FinHer study
2 - the HERA study was done with women who had completed standard chemo and then Herceptin was given long after chemo ended, not concurrently
3 - she indicated that the completion of the HERA study coming out this December is going to concur that a shorter regimen works - she is really cutting edge when it comes to being well versed in all the studies going on out there
4 - when I asked if I had a shot at having no recurrences she gave me a resounding yes! saying that my regimen ACT+H hit the cancer at the genetic level

I am ER 99%+ PR 10%+ and Her-2Neu 3+ - Stage II-B.

I may have some of this wrong but it is the best explanation for what I understand. I think for Herceptin More may not always be Better - it depends on the specific situation - which hopefully our oncologists figure out and recommend for us.

My biggest fear is that someday soon it will be the insurance company figuring out our regimens based on averages instead of our oncologists based on the individual.

I am banking my life on having had enough Herceptin - but we did also discuss what the next step would be should there be a recurrence.

But ultimately - who the heck knows?????????????

Best to you all,

Donna
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote